Women’s Health magazine debunks the Top Five Myths about meditation.
- The goal of meditation is to eliminate thoughts. Meditation is not about blocking out thoughts, it’s about what you do with thoughts when you become aware of them.
- You should always feel calm during and after meditation. Do not judge your experience during the meditation, but rather by the cumulative benefits in everyday life.
- You have to meditate for a long time to feel benefits. Even meditating for 1 minute can make a huge difference to stress levels.
- Meditation is just for people who are stressed. Meditation is an effective antidote when you are feeling stressed, but it is even more powerful as a preventative strategy.
- Meditation takes years to learn. Nonsense. Changes start to occur in the mind and the body (including the brain) from the very first time you meditate.